We know Valentine’s Day is all about celebrating love, but how about a day to celebrate just our girlfriends? Sounds like the perfect day to me!
Where are my Parks and Recreation fans? This show grew on me, but Amy Poehler was always a favorite! If you haven’t seen much of the show, Amy Poehler’s character, Leslie Knope, is a champion of her girlfriends. In light of Valentine’s Day she decides there also needs to be a day to celebrate her girlfriends. Ladies celebrating ladies! Thus, Galentine’s Day was born.
I loved the idea from the moment I saw the episode. A day to celebrate my girlfriends? Yes, please!! (If you’re an Amy Poehler fan, you get my reference.) I love to throw a good theme party and this sounds like the perfect one. If you’d like to host a Galentine’s Party for your friends, keep reading.
How to Host a Galentine’s Day Party
1. Pick a few of your girlfriends to invite. They don’t all need to know each other, but if each one knows at least 2 people at the party that’s always a plus. I’d start with 4-8 ladies. That way you can enjoy the conversations and have a nice relaxing time. I love a huge party but this type of party is best enjoyed if it’s more intimate. This is about celebrating your girls and good conversation.
2. Pick a food theme. No need to have a Thanksgiving feast. Remember, this is about celebrating friendships and you’re keeping it simple. I like an appetizer theme or a dessert theme. You could also do a salad bar, nacho bar, burrito bar…you get the idea! Pick one or two items and then have each of your friends bring something, too.
3. Play a game. I love getting-to-know-you games. While these women are all your friends, they might not know each other as well as you do! Plus, I’m sure there’s some fun things you’ll learn about each other. Pinterest is a great source for fun party games. Choose one with simple directions and supplies. I like the ones that ask a question and everyone answers. There are a few variations; just check out my pinterest board if you need some ideas!
4. If you’d like a bonus game, you could do a version of a White Elephant gift exchange. Have each of your girlfriends bring one wrapped present that’s under $10. The game lets each person open one gift and then allow others to steal it if they want.
5. Send out those invites and get ready for a night of fun!
Are you celebrating your girlfriends this year? Be sure and tag us so we can see your Galentine’s Day fun and festivities.