Summer is winding down and by this point, most of us mamas are pretty tired. If you’re looking for some easy and relatively cheap ideas for fun summer activities for the family, you’ve come to the right place. The criteria are simple: CHEAP. EASY. FUN.
Here are some easy, cheap summer family activities that my kids love.
- Outdoor Movie Night – This is a pretty popular one. Borrow a projector from a friend (or your local library) if you don’t have one and set it up in the backyard. You can use a bed sheet for the screen and set up blankets and pillows outside to sit on. Don’t forget to pop some popcorn and pass out some boxed candy!
- Camping in the Backyard – Camping is one of our favorite things to do. An easy way to let our kids enjoy the same experience (without going anywhere; bonus!) is to set up camping gear in the backyard. We set up our big tent and let the kids decorate it with their bedding and toys. Then we usually start the fire pit and let the kids roast hot dogs and s’mores. The best part is that everything you need (like the bathroom!) is close by.
- American Ninja Warrior: Playground Edition – American Ninja Warrior is a popular show that my kids love and always try to reenact. Don’t worry, there’s a way to do so! Just go by your local park and make an obstacle course using the playground. You can let your kids wear their own costumes and even make little trophies for the winner.
- Backyard Water Park – If there is one thing that is NECESSARY during the Texas summer, it’s water. Kids love it. Adults sort of love it. Regardless, if you’re going to be outside in the summer, it’s much better when there’s water involved. You can go to the closest superstore and grab a bunch of fun water activities like an inflatable pool, Slip and Slide, water guns, and a sprinkler to set up in your backyard. The best part is you can just sit back and relax on your porch and let the kids play!
- Glow in the Dark Party – Last but not least is the Glow in the Dark Dance Party. YES! YOU HEARD THAT RIGHT. Go to your nearest art store and grab white shirts and some glow in the dark paint for everyone in the family. Heck, grab ALL the glow in the dark stuff you can find. Glow in the dark nail polish, glow in the dark pens, glow in the dark necklaces. Then you can spend the day making your shirts and outfits, and once it gets dark, it’s time to party! Turn up some kid-friendly dance music on the speaker and dance the night away!