I love to see other people’s lists of favorites or a rundown of what’s “working” for them during different times. I’ve found several of my current favorite things through the reports of others! Over the last few months, there have been several lifesavers that have made me feel a bit more in control and also just made me happy. So, in no particular order, here are a few of my quarantine favorite things:
- Rad & Happy Journal. I love WRITING in my journal from Rad & Happy. Each day I can fill in my goals, gratitude, and moments to remember. Sometimes my goals are specific (I will organize the game closet), emotion-based (I am a calm and present mother), or however I feel my goals would best serve me that day. Starting my day with gratitude instantly boosts my mood and consciously writing down one or two memories a day ensure I won’t forget moments.
- My iPhone and iMovie app. I also have taken to journaling my family’s everyday life through VIDEO. I have tried to make a weekly video of little moments using my phone and the iMovie app. I find myself already looking back with fondness watching the videos from just four or five weeks ago. I started at the beginning as a way to combat the worry and anxiety I was feeling and I continue because I know these memories can and will be precious.
A New Routine
Block Schedule. A routine or schedule can be a hot topic, especially in times like this when everyone is in a different place in many ways. For me and my family, we thrive and need a routine. For the first few weeks I went through at least two or three types of routines, and landed on a block scheduling method. I have heard a few influencers talk about them, but my final product was inspired by Jordan Page. It breaks our day into manageable pieces, with many options within those pieces.
- Sam Kelly on Instagram. My top parenting resource during this time has been Sam Kelly’s IG. She talks so much about working with and helping your children with big, huge feelings. Especially during this time and with a child who fits this description to a T, this resource has been invaluable to me. Check out her highlights, or any of her posts for amazing nuggets of wisdom that can seriously change your life! She also has an amazing homeschool resource you can find on her page.
- 3 in 30 Podcast Sibling Rivalry Episodes. Just in the past two weeks Rachel Nielsen at 3 in 30 podcasts released two companion episodes about Sibling Rivalry. It has started to ramp up a bit in my home the last week or so, amazingly not so much before, and these episodes are amazing. In one day after trying one technique, I saw a decrease.
- Magnolia Table Volume 2: I give this book its own category because one thing I have learned about myself during this time of quarantine is that I actually really enjoy cooking and baking. With time slowing down and my husband being home (he traveled weekly before all this), I have found the time, energy, and need to cook and bake more frequently for my family. I have LOVED this book because I feel like all the recipes are approachable and simple enough for a weeknight but also delicious. A good, comforting meal around the table with my family every night has definitely been a highlight.
These few “quarantine favorite things” have provided some bright spots in my daily life over the last several weeks. They have all had an impact on my overall health in one way or another.
We are all on an emotional roller coaster. Finding a few things that have put a little pep in my step has done wonders for me.