Disclaimer :: I’m not a dermatologist. This is not a sponsored article. What works for me may not work for you. This article does contain affiliate links. Collin County Moms may receive a commission if you make a purchase using these links. Thanks for supporting our small business!
Like most little girls, I grew up playing with my sister in my mom’s makeup drawer and creating ridiculous hairstyles with my grandma. I played the board game Pretty Pretty Princess with my dad (what a trooper, that man) and got excited to gussy myself up.
Oh, how times have changed.
>> RELATED READ :: Healthy Skin for Moms :: Q&A with an Esthetician <<
Nowadays I’m lucky if I wash my face before heading to preschool drop-off. But when I have a bit of time in the mornings and evenings, I like to take a self-care moment for my skin. I’ve curated some basic routines for makeup and skincare that serve my needs in this busy season of life. It’s nothing fancy and time-consuming, trust me, but it works!
Morning Skincare Routine
- At the very least, I swipe a cotton ball with micellar water all over my face to remove the overnight gunk.
- I wash my face with drugstore cleanser. Truly any kind will do here . . . . A rule of thumb for me is that if I’m washing something OFF of my skin, I don’t pay top dollar for it.
- I’ve recently discovered hyaluronic acid. Yes, yes, the same stuff that Eva Longoria has been telling us about on those L’Oreal commercials. There are several on the market to choose from, but I’ve been using DIME Beauty. It plumps up my tired, dull skin in a way I didn’t realize I needed. Other options include Colleen Rothschild Hyaluronic Serum, L’Oreal Paris Revitalift Hyaluronic Acid Serum, and The Ordinary Hyaluronic Acid 2%.
- In a perfect world, my next step would be Vitamin C serum. I don’t always remember or have time to apply this, but it helps my postpartum melasma (hyperpigmentation), fine lines, and wrinkles. #CanWeGetAnAmen. I use this kind from Image Skincare, but The Ordinary is an affordable option.
- Now it’s time for moisturizer. Sometimes I use this Sheer Renewal Cream; other times I use this combo moisturizer/sunscreen from Supergoop.
- Which brings me to . . . SUNSCREEN. It’s a daily must, ladies! My favorite facial sunscreen is Unseen from Supergoop; it feels more like a primer than sunscreen. It doesn’t have a gross sunscreen smell or leave any white streaks. I have also heard good things about Elta MD (which is what my OB-GYN suggested to use while pregnant), but I have not tried it. The best kind of sunscreen is the kind you wear, so no matter the brand you choose, just use some!
Evening Skincare Routine
- If I am wearing makeup that day, I always, always, always remove it before bed. I use a cleansing balm. It melts all the makeup off my face. It feels similar to Vaseline, doesn’t burn my eyes, and leaves my skin primed for my remaining products.
- If my eye makeup isn’t fully removed by the balm or cleanser, I use some micellar water to get the job done.
- I use a mineral scrub and peel pads every so often to exfoliate and dissolve dirt and dead skin cells. I wish I did this weekly, but it’s honestly just whenever I remember. Pro tip: Use the peel pad twice, on both sides!
- If my skin is super dry, I use a facial oil to hydrate after the peel pad. It may seem counterintuitive to put oil on your face, but it soaks right in and just feels fantastic.
- I end my routine with an overnight moisturizer. I really like this affordable option from Pacifica, but I’ll also use my daytime cream, too. I’m not too concerned with the brand here, I just need something that keeps my face from feeling like lizard skin.
I rarely put on makeup these days, but when I do I don’t want it to take longer than a few minutes.
- If I didn’t go through my full morning skincare routine, I still always apply sunscreen.
- I’m a light coverage, tinted moisturizer kind of girl. I like the NARS tinted moisturizer for the lightest touch of foundation (and sunscreen!), but I’ve also become obsessed with the Blurring Skin Tint from Fenty, Rihanna’s beauty brand. That woman can do no wrong!
- I have recently started using this contour stick for my cheeks and hairline. Full disclosure that I honestly do not know if it makes much of a difference, but it seems to give my face some dimension.
- I do not skimp on my blush: I need to look alive! Right now I’m using Milani brand. I usually stick with drugstore brands for blush.
- Filling in my eyebrows completes my whole face. I don’t precisely draw them on, because I am no artist — also who has time for that? I just swipe something like this across a few times to make them look fuller.
- Mascara is such a personal preference, it’s hard to recommend just one. Voluminous Mascara by L’Oreal is a go-to, same with Maybelline Sky High Mascara. I don’t think department store mascaras are always worth their price, but I do like Perversion Mascara from Urban Decay. I also swear by a mini-brush mascara to coat my bottom lashes without getting black on my under-eyes.
- Blistex lip balm is usually all I wear on my lips, but Fenty Gloss Bomb and tarte Juicy Lip are what I reach for if I want some color.
>> RELATED READ :: 7 Clean & Sustainable Beauty Products to Add to Your Routine Today <<
This may seem like a lot, but I promise you none of these routines take longer than 10 minutes. I’ve started to relish the time I take to nourish my skin and make myself feel a little more put together.
Do you have any favorite products to share? Anything I’ve left off my list? Let us know in the comments!