Add a bit of sweetness to your summer by participating in National Ice Cream Day, happening on July 19! I will do my part and show up for this party. I’m also going to add a super special topping to my ice cream to make the experience even more delightful: coffee!
An “Affogato” is a specialty ice cream treat where a shot of espresso is poured over ice cream. A dash of orange or amaretto liqueur can be added, too. Below is a quick and easy recipe on how to make your own Affogato at home!
How to Make Affogato
- Place 2 large coffee mugs or ice cream dishes in the freezer for at least 30 minutes
- Place 3 tbsp coarse ground coffee in a cup (to be strain after brewing) or use a french press
- Pour 7 oz water (heated to 200F) over the coffee grounds
- Let the coffee beans brew for 3 minutes
- Strain through a pre-soaked coffee filter or push down the knob on your French press
- Place 3 scoops of vanilla ice cream into each mug/ice cream dish
- Equally divide the strong coffee between the two containers
- Be sure to add extra toppings like chocolate chips, sprinkles, coconut rolls, pocky sticks, or wafers
If you’re feeling up for venturing out, be sure to check out one of these local ice cream shops. It might be a good idea to give them a call to double check what hours they are currently operating the store. I hope you have a wonderful time celebrating National Ice Cream Day!
Ice Cream Shops in Collin County
Henry’s Ice Cream – 3100 Independence Pkwy., Ste. 215, Plano, TX 75075
Milky Treats Ice Cream – 7000 Independence Pkwy., Ste. 104D, Plano, TX 75025
Andy’s Frozen Custard – 11575 Frisco St., Frisco, TX 75033
Ninja De Cream – 9144 Prestmont Pl., Ste. 230, Frisco, TX 75035
Frios Gourmet Pops – 941 Garden Park Dr., Allen, TX 75013
Bruster’s Real Ice Cream – 7650 Stacy Rd., Ste. 210, McKinney, TX 75070
Drip N Roll – 1681 N Central Expy., Ste. 700, McKinney, TX 75070
OMG Creamery – 100 N Ballard Ave., Wylie, TX 75098
Paciugo Gelato Caffe – Locations in Allen, Frisco, and McKinney